Our bones are amazingly strong, but they can break if they are unable to withstand the amount of external force being placed on them or if their internal integrity is reduced. Symptoms of broken bones include pain, swelling, inability to move the affected body part, and deformity. Types of Broken Bones: Treatment, Healing
Types of Broken Bones
- Incomplete Fracture: The force did not fully break the bone into two pieces but is only partially broken.
- Complete Fracture: A break across the bone that causes a separation into two pieces.
- Closed Fracture: A type of break where the bone does not pierce through the skin. Also called a simple fracture.
- Open Fracture: A type of break where the bone pierces through the skin.
- Displaced Fracture: A break that leaves a gap between the two ends of the bone. It requires surgery to close the gap.
Treatment For a Bone Fracture
Treatment for a broken bone depends on the seriousness of the break. Always require a period of immobilization of the area, where the doctor will place a cast or an arm sling around the broken bone in order to allow the bone fragments to remain in alignment for proper healing.
In many cases, such as open fractures, the broken bone will require surgery – either external or internal fixation. External fixation involves the use of metal pins and screws attached to an external stabilizer in order to keep the broken bone fragments in the proper position as they heal. Internal fixation involves the repositioning of the bone fragments, holding them in place using metal plates, screws, and rods. The hardware may later be removed or left to stay there, depending on the fracture.
Healing And Recovery From a Broken Bone
It can take several weeks to several months to heal from a broken bone. A critical part of healing involves physical therapy exercises to restore the surrounding muscle strength, flexibility, and range of motion when the patient is ready.
Contact Dr. Sunny in Bellandur & Sarjapur Road for bone fracture, they have no1 orthopedic and they will give you the best treatment for you.